First nights viewing

Firstly, may I say hello to the SGL community. :-) I have been looking at this site for some time now and after seeing so many people recommend FLO and the Explorer 200p, I decided to buy the Explorer 200p......from FLO.

Although this scope and mount does cost a fair bit of cash, I can see looking at many other scopes that it's cheap in comparison as far as telescopes go. So I have no regrets with my purchase as it suits my budget. But being new to the world of astronomy, my new purchase has now opened up a load of new questions of which I am eager to find answers for. I think to list them all here in one go would be a bit cheeky (as a new forum member) but if I could possibly ask a couple now any help and advice would be really appreciated.

Basically, the new scope came. (Skywatcher Explorer 200p eq5) from FLO (thanks Martin). The instructions where pants. It doesnt even look like the mount that came with it. But I plodded on with the assembly and hope I have it somewhat right. Thing is, there is a rubber band and a little black ring that I cant suss where they go. Any ideas?

Secondly, everybody stresses how important it is to be collimated. Im presuming this should be done even from new. Is there a tool that any one could recommend to do this. One that works well but not too expensive. :-)

Final question (at least for today :-) ) I have managed to do a basic setup and have seen Jupiter in detail, albeit very tiny, but im hooked. Now although I was made up, the planet looked really tiny in the eyepiece and I was wondering; can i improve on this? I was using a x2 barlow that came with the scope and the 2 eyepieces that came with it, the 25mm and 10mm. I have no idea if these are good eyepieces and barlow etc, and if there is a better way to view Jupiter with other ancillaries etc. And there is also the possibility that it isn't collimated properly too.

Any help would be appreciated. Perhaps one day I will gain enough knowledge to feed back into this site. :-)

Hi and welcome to the lounge.

Can't help with the scope queries as I have a refractor but loads of people on this site have a similar scope to you and are very helpful.

As far as Jupiter goes, the 10mm will be better as it gives a higher magnification.

To find out the magnification of a scope / eyepiece combo, divide the focal length of the scope by that of the eyepiece. So for example a 25mm eyepiece on a scope with 1000mm focal length will give you 1000/25 or 40x magnification.

Two eyepieces + a barlow will give you four possible magnifications.

It may be worth investing in better eyepieces with time but to be honest I am still in the process of improving mine....and that's a never ending game by all accounts!

Generally higher magnification suits planets and splitting double stars, lower magnification suits galaxies, nebulae and clusters (tho this is not an absolute rule).

Hope that helps!

Welcome to SGL Daedalus :)

Yes the instructions are a bit naff - but the "O" ring goes on the groove half to two thirds way along the finder. It locates the finder tube inside it's front ring mount. Then you can adjust using the two screws at the rear of the finder mount (one of which is sprung).

I use a Hotech collimator but they are top of the range. There are cheaper alternatives but do get a reasonable quality one which won't itself require collimating.

The scope you have is 1200mm focal length. A magnification of 180-200x would be quite useable in good seeing conditions. Divvide the fl by the eypiece size to work out magnification. Eg 1200/8mm eyepiece = 150x mag.

At f5.91 you will need good collimation and a reasonable quality eyepiece for happy viewing. Budget £60-£100 for a good eyepiece. Don't go for an eyepiece kit - attractive as they sound they ain't good vfm in my opinion (others will say different lol).

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for the reply DKD. Think i'll have to start taking notes. The formula you gave for the magnification seems a good idea. Im presuming that the idea is not to go over the manufacturers recommended magnification then. Im kind of glad that using a scope isnt so straight forward then it gives me lots to look forward too and im sure i shall gain experience along the way

Oh for Barlows - go for a TAL 2x - better quality than supplied ones and excellent value for money. Circa £80'ish will get a "Celestron Ultima" or "Orion Shorty Plus" 2x barlow which are better still. Secnd hand you can get much better prices.

This will double your magnification (or halve your eyepice size in mm). But don't overmagnify or you'll just end up magnifying the atmosphere, and making the target object dimmer and fuzzier. :)

Thanks for the reply DKD. Think i'll have to start taking notes. The formula you gave for the magnification seems a good idea. Im presuming that the idea is not to go over the manufacturers recommended magnification then. Im kind of glad that using a scope isnt so straight forward then it gives me lots to look forward too and im sure i shall gain experience along the way

Your 8" scope is a large aperture for a first scope and should keep you entertained for a long time.

In perfectly clear and still skies, it could take well over 200x - I think the rule is up to 50x per inch of aperture. Unfortunately, skies aren't always particularly still and mounts are prone to wobble (although EQ5s are pretty sturdy by all accounts). These factors are more likely to limit your useful magnification.

Up to around £150 the improvements in contrast and crispness are quite noticeable (in roughly £40 increments). After that the differences are more subtle and better under experienced eyes.

The supplied eyepieces and barlows tend to be average to low quality just to get you going with the scope out of the box. But eyepiece choice is a personal thing - you have to find what suits your eyes best.

It's allways a good idea to go to a local astro soc obs meeting (or a star party) where folks will let you try different eyepieces and help you to get to know whats available and what you're comfy with :)

DKD, tonight was the very first night that i have ever seen something other than a dot in the sky. I could clearly make out jupiter as a planet. But...and I appreciate how far away Jupiter is, it was or at least seemed too small to view comfortably. So Im hoping that a) collimation may be needed, :) better quality eyepieces and barlow would give a better view, c) higher powered eyepieces would make for better viewing. If the answer is yes to all 3, then hopefully you are right, it should keep me entertained for quite some time :-)

(It did put a smile on my face though when Jupiter first appeared in the eyepiece. But.....im a perfectionist and always want more/better :-) )

Ha yeah...Just looked them up. I'll put them on my list of things to buy when I win the lottery! :-) I think in my excitement im trying to take to many big steps too soon. But I suppose thats the bug biting. I saw a picture of Jupiter taken by the guy who won the Astronomy Photographer of the year shown on Sky at Night. Its only now do I fully appreciate how good that photo really is.

congrats on your first light. although the eyepieces are not high spec,they should provide adequate views for the time being. my stock eyepieces that come with my scope give very nice views of saturn and jupiter.

even basic stock e'p's should show you the 2 main bands of jupiter,i know mine did and youve got great apeture there.

good luck and clear skies..

I don't think there is anything wrong with a good eyepiece kit. My GSO Revelation one for £110 does a cracking job at each magnification level, and the Barlow is good as well. Sure, they won't be good images compared to more expensive plossls, but for the money, and for those starting out or even those who have done it for a few years (such as me), you can't really go wrong with them.

Told you opinion is divided lol - but Goose is right - the Revelation is the best of the kits if you have to have one - I'm just coloured by my experience with the Celestron kit which ain't what it says on the box.

For the money though I would rather save a bit more and get the Hyperion Zoom which is a cracking piece - very flexible and versatile and is several steps above kits and supplied ep's in quality :)

Thanks for all the replies. Got tons more questions but before I post them i'l try looking for the same questions on this sight so as not to keep repeating the same questions so as not to keep repeating the same questions...:-)

Archived