200p on order, need more info

Hi Chaps,

I've ordered a 200p skyliner which should be coming tomorrow yepi......

i'm gunna order the collimating tool and a telrad finder but my question are on the eye pieces......

what size eyes pieces should I be going for as it can use both sizes?

does 1 size hold an advantage over the other?

Will I need additional adapters to mount them accordingly?

Are there eye pieces to give me a much wider view?

It will come with an adapter for 2" to 1.25" eyepieces. Basically, a 2" eyepiece allows for a wider true field of view. They are commonly used to provide wide fields at low powers.

There is some eyepiece advice on Televue's website: Tele Vue Optics: Choosing Eyepieces

Plossls generally provide a 50 degree apparent field of view (the apparent size of the view at the eye). More elaborate eyepiece designs use more glass elements (often expensive high-index glass) to produce a wider apparent field and also a larger true field (the area of sky covered). These can be quite pricey.

A good Plossl will provide a nice sharp view, even if it's a touch on the narrow side. I find 50 degree eyepieces feel narrow but 60 degree do not. Above about 70 degrees feels very spacious indeed.

Congrats Rainlaw - nice scope - you'll love it :)

Best advice is to use the supplied eyepieces for a while first and get to an astro soc observing night - folks will be happy to let you try different eyepieces so you can discover what you're comfy with. It's a very personal choice really.

Generally - 2" eyepieces offer a lower power wider field of view so you can get those large galaxies and nebulae in the same view. The 1.25" sizes tend to be narrower and used for high power planetary and moon viewing. But there are lots of overlaps so best get used to them before committing hard earned cash.

The 300P comes with a 2"-1.25" adaptor - I think the 200P does as well but you'll have to check that cos I ain't sure. Hope that helps :)

What I do with filters is to buy them all in 2" and acquire a 2" to 1.25" adapter that is threaded to take 2" filters. That way my 2" filter works with 1.25" eyepieces. You may need to splash out on the adapter, but it's cheaper than buying multiple filters and means that all eyepieces can be filtered. As a bonus, you can switch between 1.25" eyepieces without unscrewing the filter from the adapter.

The only thing you need to check is that none of the 1.25" eyepiece protrude sufficiently far into the adapter to risk cracking the filter. If so, you can easily remedy this with a parfocalising ring.

CCTS Camera Concepts & Telescope Solutions :: Eyepiece Adapters :: Antares 2" to 1.25" Twist-Lock Eyepiece Adapter/Camera Adapter

Hi

I would echo brantuk. Just relax, and use what comes with the scope for a while.

Eyepieces are a personal thing, everyone's got different opinions and reasons for what they use.

After you've used the scope a while it will tell you what eyepieces will serve you best.

Regards Steve

After 3 months or so of some infrequent but rewarding nonetheless observing sessions I started to get an understanding of field of view under different magnifications.

Once you understand this and also take into account the physical magnifying limits of your scope and observing site you will know what eps you need.

Dont forget that any Ep you do purchase is really a two for one because you have a Barlow which halves the focal length of the piece giving x2 the mag!

Archived