NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Star Analyser and Rainbow Optics comparison Spectra

Jack Martin

I have used both the Star Analyser and Rainbow optics. The dispersion for the Star Analyser can be changed by putting the cell further from the detector to make it larger. I use the Star Analyser for both visual work, with an eyepiece and with a DSI Pro II for imaging with an 8" LX90. I also use a Lhires III with 2400 l/mm grating with a 12" LX200 for high resolution work. I process the spectra with RSpec. After struggling with the French freeware RSpec is a refreshing change.

For use with the DSI Pro II I have two configurations. I have the low profile adapter on the camera with a dark slid. One configuration I screw the Star Analyser into the nose piece. This gives me both the star (zero order spectrum) and first order spectrum. By screwing the Star Analyser in the nose of a star diagonal the DSI Pro II fills the window with the spectrum.

I have attached an image with two line profiles of Vega I took last night. The top is a 0.03 second exposure with the Star Analyser in the nose of the DSI Pro ii. The second is 0.18 second exposure with the Star Analyser in the nose of a Star Diagonal. Both were taken with an 8" LX90 and processed with RSpec. No calibration has been performed on the profiles yet.

Jeff

Jeff,

The TransSpec spreadsheet, available on the Rspec group will help determine the resolution and plate scale for the various gratings.

The resolution of a grating is around 30A. Getting a bit more dispersion, depending on the CCD pixel size can make the analysis of the spectrum a little easier.

Good results. Well done.

Archived