Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dew controllers and tapes

Had a terrible dew problem last time out so ordering some dew heaters. Would like some advice / opnions on the Kendrick and Astrozap heater tapes and also on the controller either Hitec astro 4 port controller or the Kendrick Digifire 7?

As an add on tape and dew shield or heated dew shield on a Newtonion top. Heated tape or mirror heater for Primary (is Orion Optics VX10 and I am not sure how easy inserting the heater will be? Or if the less invasive solutions will work fine?

I have Astrozap controller, heater tapes and dew shield, they do keep most of the dew off the corrector lens on all but the worst nights (with heavy dew) on my Celestron 8SE, but don't need them at all on my ST80, although there was one night when the eyepiece was dripping with dew - I dried it and put it in my pocket for a few minutes and it was fine.

On the cold nights I think the heater tapes need to be on full otherwise they do nothing. I suspect it is the dew shield that does most of the work, I am lazy so bought the Astrozap one (fits really well and is easy to handle), but some people make their own from camping mats.

Archived