is there a big difference between 5.1" and 6"

I am about to go buy my first scope, which I had decided was going to be the Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian.

but looking at the price of the Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube has me thinking, is the extra 0.9" worth the extra £70

So my question is.....

Am I making the right decision in buying the slightly larger 150p and is the difference big enough for me to justify spending the extra dosh?

PS. I am on a very tight budget so couldn't go any bigger than the 150

Hi

The difference is an extra 44% light gathering power over the 5". This extra lightgulp will show in the objects you can see, how bright they are and the magnification that you can push the scope to. The larger the aperture, the brighter, clearer and bigger they will appear.

HTH!

I think the basic premise has to be that all additional aperture is worth having. Whether the cost of that extra aperture is affordable is down to individual budgets but light is the most precious commodity for astronomers.

Archived