Dob vs EQ3 for a Beginner

I added a Rigel QuikFinder and a right angle correct image finder to my Dob.

They sit side by side at the top of the tube.

This is an excellent and well recommended upgrade but you can already see how the £'s are going to mount with the hobby.

Upgrade the finder(s), a couple of decent eyepieces and a decent barlow plus a deep sky filter and you have spent what the scope cost you :)

I often think that buying the scope is the cheap bit !

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Omega.....yes, you can upgrade the syntrek mount, but you need to buy a synscan controller. FLO have them.

The alternative, which many folk who are into AP do, is to connect up to a laptop and use a free program called EQMod, and a planetarium program, often the (also free) excellent Cartes du Ciel. This gives all the control you need.

It will auto track.

Rob

Thanks Rob.

Just when I thought I had settled on the 200P Flex Dob GO TO, I come across the EQ5 version at practically the same price. SO as the Dob and EQ5 are the same price, could someone please clarify the following points regarding the relevant pros-cons....

- Will the EQ5 take that much longer to set up and is it more difficult to get to grips with for a first scope?

- Will the EQ5 be more difficult for viewing in the focuser as it appears to be a lot higher off the ground?

- As far as i understand, the EQ5 will serve my future DSLR requirement?

I'm indecisive at the best of times, but shopping for my first scope has certainly put me to the test! So many different things to consider lol.

Thanks again for your help & advice, and your understanding, seems I'm forever throwing new questions your way so I apologise for that. It is much appreciated though.

Well I have the EQ5 and 200p and a friend of mine has the 200p dob. I much prefer spending a bit longer (~15 mins) setting up and having tracking. Only needed to tippy toe once when looking directly upwards but could still manage to get to the EP no problem.

It's worth knowing that the equatorially mounted version of the 200P is an F/5 scope wheras the dobsonian 200P is an F/6.

I still haven't fully grasped focal ratio. Am I right in thinking the lower the f/, the better it is for DSO?

How would this difference in f/ manifest itself visually?

Visually all you would notice is a wider field of view and lower magnification in the f/5 with any given eyepiece. But to get that in the f/5 you need to use better quality eyepieces and take a bit more care of collimation than at f/6.

Visually all you would notice is a wider field of view and lower magnification in the f/5 with any given eyepiece. But to get that in the f/5 you need to use better quality eyepieces and take a bit more care of collimation than at f/6.

Spot on Rik :)

Archived