Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

wanting a scope with same type optics has celestron sky master bins

Hi there, i have some celestron sky master bins, 15x70, and theses are excellent really sharp and clear, the stars really do come out with these, i have a heritage 130p ,5 inch dob, but the clarity is not the same if thats the right word, so the question is? which scope would be in the same league has the celestron sky master bins, i was thinking a maksutov? yours paul

Good question - I never really thought about the difference between mirrors and glass - but folks do seem to like refractors - especially for the clarity and contrast given to imaging. A Mak would be great for solar system work with it's huge focal length. I'll make sure to note the differences next time I get chance.

I imagine an achromat would be closest to binocs viewing. But you get so much more aperture with mirrors for the same price. Appos are more suited to wide fields but of course you get a much shorter focal length for a tube twice as long as a Mak.

Lots to think about in your question - best get a look through the different types to decide for yourself - astro club or star party would be your best bet ;)

Archived