Eyepiece kits, individual eyepieces and barlows.

I own a Skyliner 200p Dobsonian which came with both a 10mm and 25mm eyepiece. As a beginner it is very difficult know quality from cheap, to me both my eyepieces have so far given me some stunning views, but I am feeling the urge to invest in a barlow, some filters and some other eye-pieces both for planetary observing and DOS, which is why when I came across the Celestron Eyeopener Eyepiece and Filter Kit I thought it a good deal. Now after reading some comments I am unsure.

Whilst I don't want to spend a huge amount of money I also don't want to buy something cheap only to be disappointed by the quality. I have also been told that I should just focus on buying a barlow, one good eyepiece for DOS and another for planets, but there appear to be so many brands - it's all a bit confusing. Ultimately I want to be happy with what I invest my money in, but I don't want to break the bank.

Also in terms of a barlow, there seems to be so many options and a wide variety of prices, I would appreciate any advice on what might make a good buy and how effectively a barlow works with both the high and lower power eyepieces.

Clear Skies

The Celestron Plossl set is very good for starters, buying a set, as I did, is often the only way you can negotiate the minefield that is eyepieces. The Barlow in this set is extremely good as are the lower power ep's, but as with all higher mags in plossl's the eye relief is poor and the viewing glass end very small, for that reason I don't like the Plossls. I now buy ep's individually according to my preferences and viewing needs, but as said so many times on this forum, you can't fault the BST Explorer's for quality and great FoV. A good middle range ep that does not break the bank at £41 a pop. It would be helpful to know your viewing prefernces. I now target my ep purchases according to what I want to view, so have a very mixed bank of ep's, some of which I only use occasionally, but when I go out, I select which ep's I need for the type of viewing I want to do that night or at that star party or event, if that makes sense. Having gone through the whole process of experimentation and associated costs of the learning curve, I would say think carefully and listen to advice and endeavour to target any purchases to your viewing preferences. You can buy the equivalent of the BST under their own brand name if you go to Telekop Service in Germany: Weitwinkelokulare 1,25' ab 60° - Teleskop-Express: Astro-Shop + Fotografie + Naturbeobachtung Though here in the UK I am sure Alan of http://www.skysthelimit.org.uk/_wp_generated/aee0.jpg would have no hesitation in posting out to you.

I think eyepiece kits are a good idea, though I built my collection up over time as I couldn't afford a kit to start with. I rate the GSO Revelation plossls highly. They certainly work well in my 200P dob and I still use them even though I've since started to build a collection of Hyperions. I do have a 2x barlow but only a cheap one and I find it does degrade the view a little, with some nights being more noticeable than others.

The improvement between a decent budget EP and a premium is often quite subtle. I would forget sets entirely, myself, and buy one good EP for the sort of focal length you use most. Then later I'd add another good one for the FL you use next most... etc! The benefit of a premium ultra wide EP in a Dob is that you do less nudging and more looking.

I typically pull out three EPs in a night's visual observing. I would far rather have tip-top glass and compromise on FL that have the perfect FL in a so-so EP.

Olly

The improvement between a decent budget EP and a premium is often quite subtle. I would forget sets entirely, myself, and buy one good EP for the sort of focal length you use most. Then later I'd add another good one for the FL you use next most... etc! The benefit of a premium ultra wide EP in a Dob is that you do less nudging and more looking.

I typically pull out three EPs in a night's visual observing. I would far rather have tip-top glass and compromise on FL that have the perfect FL in a so-so EP.

Olly

How does a beginner begin to even know what focal length they use the most when their initial choices are limited to the supplied EPs? My 200P dob came with a 25mm and 10mm plossl. Neither of which have proven to be the focal lengths I use the most. Amongst the advantages of the kits is the range of EPs to discover which sizes are most often used, and then upgraded.

One thing I've noticed on here is that highly experienced and knowledgeable astronomers appear to find it much easier to know what EPs are suitable than for us beginners.

Thanks or all the advice, in terms of my viewing preferences - well i don't really know. I am fascinated by both planetary and DSO observing, and at this stage just want to get closer so to speak. I'm going to go of now and look at some of the websites you have all suggested and do a bit of research.

I have to say the eye piece kit does sound really tempting as a way of getting an all round view of what different eyepieces are capable of.

Archived