Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Filter Question

A quandery. Do I need another filter?

My Canon 350D is modded with no filter replacement. For nebulaes I have used a Baader UHC-S which seems to be fine. On galaxies, perhaps not surprisingly, it isn't due colour cast. What is the correct filter for galaxies? I have a SW 2" LPR and would try it except there hasn't been a clear night for some weeks.

Advice very welcome.

galaxies unlike nebulae generally emit their light across the broad spectrum....

If you have light pollution problems, then certainly try the LPR, otherwise get more practise with the imaging processing package you use to make some corrections to the RGB balance.....

Hi, good to hear from you again. It is LP that is the root of the problem - we now have white light street lamps around here while Basingstoke a few miles away bathes in sodium and other LP. What you say is what I thought might be the case. I have played with PS over the years but my trusty PS 5.5 is a little too long in the tooth for post processing + 8bit TIFF. So, I am looking at a CS version tho' 5 extended or not is not justifiable just now. Don't think PS Elements will have the fire power. I have tweaked out RGB on histograms and seems to work.

Thanks for your help Ken.

Rgds

Archived