First Telescope Advice

Hello all, this is my first post and I am a complete novice when it comes to astronomy, so please bear with me. I need some advice and hope you can help ;)

I am going to buy my OH a telescope for Christmas. This will be their first telescope but, unlike me, OH is not a complete novice and has a keen interest in astronomy (has a background in Physics (PhD) but not astrosphysics), but has not done any telescope work for many decades.

My concern is that if I buy too basic a telescope this would lead to wanting a more advanced model before too long, so I am prepared to pay more for a model that will do the job for several years and will meet the needs of a user who has mastered the basics. This is where I get stuck as I am finding it difficult to differentiate between all the different types and models and manufacturers.

As a complete beginner in this area I have tried to do some research and have read several reviews. The model I get needs to be portable, it will be mainly used for solar system viewing (I think!). I expect some photos will be taken but this is not a major requirement of the telescope. The user has some manual dexterity limitations so lots of little switches, dials, screws etc. would not be suitable.

Bearing all this in mind I decided on the Celestron NexStar 6SE. The GOTO would make it easier to use I thought. Anyway, reviews seem good overall. I was going to get the Celestron Eyepiece and Filter kit to go with it. Would this do the job do you think? And is this model going to meet the needs of a more experienced astronomer a few years down the line?

All opinions welcomed and much appreciated. Cheers!

To be honest, the best thing you could do is not buy one as a surprise. There are many different telescope designs out there (because they have different optical configurations and different mounts). It's hard enough for a beginner to make a choice if they know what they're after. It's impossible for you to make a choice if you don't know what someone will want. As you say, you're not sure what sort of viewing the person will want to do. With a nice telescope I'm sure the user will want to try out lots of deep space objects, such as galaxies and nebulae.

That said, if you want to proceed anyway here's some advice. If you're worried about manual dexterity then perhaps avoid a Newtonian, which requires frequent alignment of the optics. An SCT of the sort you mention could work. The mount is simple to put together. Personally, I'd opt for the 8" version but check the weight. My concern is with the mount: not everyone wants or like GoTo. Meade and Celestron SCTs mounts can and do break down. One option is that you buy the optical tube alone from Meade or Celestron and mount it on an alt/az mount such as the Vixen Porta II (Google it). This will be even easier to set up, won't require power, will run more quietly, and won't breakdown. You will then find objects by hand, which is part of the fun. Tracking the object as it moves through the sky is easy with a Porta II, as it comes with flexible handles that don't shake the mount. I use one for solar observing and like it very much.

Hi Button Moon, welcome to SGL, your choice of telescope looks very good for starters, I am sure it will be enough to fascinate you both. The only downside of these telescopes is the 'cooling down' time which takes longer than other telescope types, and the exposed corrector lens at the front, which can dew up quickly, a 'dew shield' will be a must I believe. The other thing I have found is that they are quite fidly to place on the mount in the dark, but as long as you are aware of these things, this telescope will give great views of the Moon and planets. The other thing is that at f/10 this will give good views of a majority of DSO's etc.

Thank you for your replies. It has given me something to think about.

Another question if I may...Would a Celestron C6 XLT on a Vixen Porta II mount be compatible and would such a set-up essentially be a manual version of the Nexster 6SE set-up?

Hi Button...& welcome to the forum...

Only advise i have...forget the filter & eyepiece set...the majority wont get used & for similar money you could get a good eyepiece or 2 that will get used.

I don't know which part of the UK you are in, but, there seem to be quiet a few 'open' evenings with various viewing groups over the next 2 - 3 weeks...jupiter watch etc. pop along if there is a local one...you'll see which 'scopes he gravitates towards...& get an idea of what targets interest him

Archived