Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Pro GoTo size while transporting?

davebodger

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a Skywatcher 150PDS or 200PDS on a HEQ5 Pro Goto mount, but I can't find anywhere it says how big this mount is when being transported.

Can anyone who has one let me know how big a bag it has to be put in to carry?

Do you carry the tripod and mount as one or seperately or does it have to be completely broken down each time it's put in the car?

I live in central London so anticipate I will have to travel to get any decent clear skies.

I can make some room by dropping down one of the rear seats in my Golf Plus - it will give me a space about 150cm x 38cm wide x 50cm high for putting the long stuff in and the remainder of the boot is 62cm wide x 60cm deep x 50cm high.

If I can't fit the tripod and 200PDS OTA in the long space then I will have to get a 150PDS which I think I can shoe-horn into the remaining boot space.

Alternatively if it will all fit into the un-extended boot space of 100cm wide by 50cm high by 60cm deep then that will be brilliant.

Any advice welcome. :D

The HEQ5 will go onto my rear seat (Ford Focus) as one but it's a bit awkward; I prefer to split them so I don't risk tearing my seats or damaging the mount. Drop a seat and it will fit in easily from the boot. I am not aware of any bag for same, I just sling it on my shoulder (complete).

Thanks everyone for that - and starguest for the numbers - it's been a great help.

It sounds like if I make a box 100cm x 60cm and 20cm high, out of 6mm ply, internally divided into three sections for the mount, tripod and accessories (weights etc.) padded out with some foam blocks,

then I can put a 200PDS OTA (suitably wrapped in bubbly stuff) on top in the boot. No need to fold down the rear seat (safer that way IMO) Job done! ;)

I feel a Christmas gift to self coming on. :)

Archived