NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What beginners can find and see: 11/14 - 11/20

Look early this week! Lots going on early, though several things to watch later on in the week too - check out this week's "Eyes on the Sky":

Sooo... what's up this week?

• Venus is 2 degrees from Mercury, but not for long
  • Jupiter has a superb transit of Ganymede for observers in the Americas
  • Mars, the Moon and the Lion's Mane make for an amazing trio
  • Saturn rises, a double star to spot, and more!

Hope you enjoy - subscribe on YouTube and never miss an episode. There are some great happenings next week that you won't want to miss, especially if you'd like to find some deep sky objects using planets or the Moon as convenient guides in some star-poor regions of the sky.

Hi David,

great edition again - Thanks for posting.

I think everyone wanting to improve their knowledge of the sky in bite sized segments should watch these. They are a perfect amount to take in on a week to week basis.

Hi Marc,

Thanks so much for the nice compliment. I do try to add something each week that enhances viewers knowledge of the night-sky - for example, highlighting where Aries is, and a double star within it this week.

I hope the videos really do help others get better acquainted with 'what's up,' without being overwhelming.

hi and thanks,but the trouble with most when starting out is this,every one wants to see the bright DSO`S so they go for those imho start with one constellation , Cassiopeia is a great one easy to spot up there,now this offers some great targets to see spend a few nights on it learn the main star names ect find all it as as to offer i have spent the last 2 months on this const and still see dif stuff every time i look

thanks for the video theres plenty of websites that do these type of videos but they only seem to show the brightest and the months best but all the same ,they help people see thing s

Thank you for the very nice compliments everyone - it is greatly appreciated. :)

hi and thanks,but the trouble with most when starting out is this,every one wants to see the bright DSO`S so they go for those imho start with one constellation , Cassiopeia is a great one easy to spot up there,now this offers some great targets to see spend a few nights on it learn the main star names ect find all it as as to offer i have spent the last 2 months on this const and still see dif stuff every time i look

thanks for the video theres plenty of websites that do these type of videos but they only seem to show the brightest and the months best but all the same ,they help people see thing s

Hi, thanks for the observations. What I have tried to do is really offer videos for the most basic level of beginners. Not that other amateurs can't learn something from the videos (shoot, I learn stuff just researching for them!), but I recognize my audience is widely scattered (worldwide), and quite diverse in their understanding of the night sky - many people, for example, don't even know they can see planets like Jupiter and Saturn naked-eye. So I try and keep it quite basic, while attempting to avoid insulting anyone's intelligence. It's a balancing act, for sure! And like any newspaper or other program, I have to decide what to show, and what to leave out. So I focus on what's changing in the night sky - the planets, Moon and meteor showers along with the occasional bright comets are where I try to place my focus.

With respect to focusing on constellations and DSO's in them - I'm working on something along those lines. Be patient - I've got some good stuff on the way - but it will be several months before it is all compiled. ;)

Archived