Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to image with a newt?

im used to imaging with a Refractor but now having a 10" Newt I want to dabble.

I have a 250 with a R&P focuser, this has a T-thread adapter built in (are coma correctors 2 thread? they are all 2" afaik..... pfft).

im going to piggy back a 80mm for guiding.

Ill need a Coma corrector, and possible a new focuser or some 2" adapter affair. If I can get my lakeside stepper on the R&P...that would be good.

The focuser is not low profile, will this be an issue?

I can move the primary it focusing is an issue?

probably more questions to follow..

The Baader CC I have is a t-thread for connecting the camera, and 2" push fit on the other end.

Probably, you need to get the DSLR very close and most stock focusers have an issue. CC gives you some back focus back though (10mm IIRC.)

If you can't focus, yes you can move the primary. Strong springs and longer locking / collimation bolts.

My springs/collimation are so taught, I don't need lockers any more :D

• 2 weeks later...

I find with my EP holder being dis-assembled I can screw my T adapter and achieve enough travel for focus. With my MPCC I just slot this into the draw tube and the camera screws into the other end as Kh3ldar suggests.

Focussing is definitely a pain and takes some tweaking, I have a dual speed crayford but still find I need to make finer adjustments. If you can get your stepper attached this will help.

Im by someway a novice in the AP lark but I have learnt a lot which Im keen to share if it helps (Although its been several months since Ive done any sort of imaging I may have forgotten a lot of it!!!)

Archived