Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Samsung video dobson XX12i

kevin5

Hello,

I have a XX12i with equatorial platform.

Does anyone have a Samsung SCB-2000, SCB-4000, scc-a2333, sdc-435 tried on a XX12i or know someone who has tried it.

If so, was there a problem with the focal length and can I use a focal reducer.(for a wider field of vision)

I'm thinking about to buy samsung SCB-4000 for DSO.

But I would like to know if it will work.

I would be disappointed if I had bought it for nothing.I've searched on the internet already, but find no information.

Thank you

Hi Kevin

I do not have a XX12i - I do not see why any camera would not work, however if you use a focal reducer you may not have sufficient inward focus travel.

At 1500mm focal length you are going to have a pretty narrow FOV - Ok for planets and may be some of the smaller DSO - the 1/3" CCD cameras like the SCB2000 are like using a 6mm eyepiece.

If you wanted to see if it will work, the you could get one of the CPC880 cameras from Morgans and see if you can focus - then get a 1.25" focal reducer which will work for the web cam and the video camera and try.

Maybe there are other dob owners out there who could better answer your question.

Clear skies

Paul

Hello,

I have a XX12i with equatorial platform.

Does anyone have a Samsung SCB-2000, SCB-4000, scc-a2333, sdc-435 tried on a XX12i or know someone who has tried it.

If so, was there a problem with the focal length and can I use a focal reducer.(for a wider field of vision)

I'm thinking about to buy samsung SCB-4000 for DSO.

But I would like to know if it will work.

I would be disappointed if I had bought it for nothing.I've searched on the internet already, but find no information.

Thank you

hi

I have just ordered a SCB-4000 for use with my 12 inch skywatcher dob. I was hoping as it's the 1/2 inch CCD that I will not get such a narrow FOV. A focal reducer was next on the shopping list,but focus travel may be an issue. I will post up how I get on. I need to gather up all the leads and other stuff, then hopefully a clear night...

Thanks for the response.

Mindburner, I hope you get a good view at night.

Your FOV now is about 11.1 x 14.8 Arcmin.

What kind of focal reducer are you going to try, so that you will have enough back focus.

Are you going to use a Focal reducer special for newtons like this one,

MFR-3 Focal Reducer for DOB or Newtonian Reduction Factor 0.64

with

new 2 inch video ccd adapter for more back focus.

Both artikels you can find on this site (adapter+ FR)

Product

Or this one

Focal Reducer (1.25") - £24 including delivery

Astro video cameras - Watec 120n - Mintron @ Modern Astronomy

I've read that not all focal reducers work on Newtonian.

hi

I'm actually not too sure. The cheaper one looks good especially as the price is right plus I also have an ETX90 which would benefit from this one. I don't know the pros & cons of different focal reducers but I think I may order the £24 one. Just got some raw images with the SCB-4000 last night after the pub so may not be that good - will upload whe I get them copied off the laptop.

just had a quick blast at Jupiter with the Smasung last night. Seeing was terrible and the dob was all over the place, so not good results Jupiter 'live' was nice though. I think web caming is better. Also tried the camera in the ETX90 at prime focus on the sun

scb-4000%252520jupiter.jpg

sol.jpg

follow up: did a bodge with the scb-4000 and the skywatcher 300p by removing the 2 inch to 1.25 adapter and inserting the camera directly. This was just a temporary proof of concept. The camera will focus with a 0.5 focal reducer in place therefore the antares/orion low profile adapter should also work. This should be some hope to those with dobs, who are thinking of getting a video camera

FOCUS POINT WITH FOCAL REDUCER ON A 300P

scb-4000%252520direct.jpg

Archived