Camera Mounting

Hello all

I have a question that hopefully you can help me with. I am strongly considering buy a SW 200p on an eq5. I know the scope has a direct slr mount but I was wondering, is there anything like a tube ring which you can mount a slr camera to, like a tripod mount on top of the telescope tube. I have seen it on a couple of telescopes before but I was wondering is there is something that someone could reccomend me.

The SW 200p comes with tube rings that are already tapped and drilled at the top for a standard camera mount so you could simply attach your DSLR camera there BUT, a better way would be to mount a ball and socket attachment using the supplied bolt and then mounting the camera to that.

An even better solution would be to mount a second dovetail bar to the top of the tube rings, again using the pre-drilled holes in the top of the tube rings and then mount the ball and socket attachment to the bar but that would require you to drill out the holes in the new dovetail bar to allow for the 1/4" Whitworth bolts.

For camera + lens only on a mount, scope left in the house, there is another way.

I have used the cheap dovetail bars that have holes drilled at intervals. These are formed from flat thin bar and rolled to shape. SnS sell them. Not the best for scopes. But for cameras they are good. Lots of space under the bar to take a 1/4" screw head. If you put a big lens on the camera, there is the option of adding support here.

Archived