Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Glare Reduction Filters

Was outside last night with my scope and has a great time looking at Jupiter. It has been the first time that I have really experienced poor seeing for myself (people have talked about it, but until you experience it with your own eyes you can never get a true indication). Was just like a heat-haze on a hot summers day. As usual I has my clearest views with my 25mm ep. If I tried adding the barlow or using the 9mm then the wobble started. As the BRS was on show last night I thought it would be a great time to have a look, however I did find it very difficult due to the glare coming off Jupiter. Was like looking at a full moon, almost blinding. That coupled with the poor seeing I struggled to see the BRS due to the reasons above (Low mag difficult to see any detail due to the glare. Higher mag and the wobble started and still glare).

Does anyone therefore have any advice for glare reduction filters that cut the brightness without losing detail?????

Thanks

What time was you viewing . Did you allow plenty of time for cooling down the scope.

Waiting till later, when its higher in the sky will help with the seeing conditions

As for filters. I find a yellow helps (others may disagree)

Thanks DN18. Was outside around 8.30 to 9.30. I did leave scope outside to cool down for around an hour. Usually I give it more, but could only manage an hour last night.

Still being relatively new to this astronomy malarkey I don't know what is the optimum. I suppose it depends on the scope you have and how cold it is to start with

Archived