Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wedge for NS8GPS?

Hi all

Just doing some investigation into a wedge for my NexStar 8 GPS. Now, I know Celestron do the heavy duty wedge (which also requires the fine adjustment kit), but before I throw money at this, I was wondering if there were any other wedge options I should be considering. I see the APT wedge gets rave reviews by pretty much everyone, but I cant find a supplier online for them in the UK (bet they are pricey!).

Any hints, tips, links to options, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Arthur at Ambermile does a wedge, but it's over £500 http://www.ambermile.co.uk

You could ask if he would make you something up thats cheaper maybe but it wouldn't be as solid I guess.

You are probably best off with the Celestron at £235 as it's likely to be the cheapest option (bar DIY), unless others know of a cheaper one

Steve, I have a Celestron HD wedge with adjusters upgrade. It is solid enough for an NS8. The adjusters are flimsy and badly designed esp the azimuth. The main advantage of a more expensive wedge for an NS8 is the ease of adjustment for polar alignment. All the same I was able to manage 90 sec plus exposures with the Celestron with a 3.3 reducer. £120 plus p+p and it's yours. PM me if interested.

The quality wedges include APT mitty and milburn. they occasionally pop up on UK astro buynsell - that's where I got my APT. Paid £350. Could have probably got it down to £300 but I just wanted to make sure I got it.

Archived