Anybody CaKing?

As its not got dark yet and feeding time has been and gone, other than drinking the beer of the stars (Stella), I'm stuck for something fun to do. My Ha PST images seem to be working out so I'm having a lot of fun with them, but the fun could be increased by adding CaK images to my repetoir. I see that Baader do a CaK filter that works in conjunction with solar film so that (allegedly) you don't need to buy a CaK PST. I wondered if any of you guys had dabbled yet with the technology so that I can pick your brains. The Baader option would be several dozen cases of beer more enticing, if it works.

Captain Chaos

I'd be very interested in hearing about this filter (if it works).

I suppose that providing you have reduced the brightness and heat etc down to safe levels then it might be possible to filter through only that particular line?

If you can do it with CaK then why not Ha?

Ant

As I understand it Ant, the CaK filter needs to have the Baader solar film as well. The bandpass of the CaK (PST and Baader both) is massively more than the Ha PST or other dedicated Ha solar instrument. It appears that the PST (CaK) has a smaller bandpass than the Baader, but as its not very tight with either I presume that its not so critical as it is with Ha.

WRT Ha plus the Baader film, I've had good results using a "normal" Ha filter when doing white light imaging of the solar disc, it increases the contrast of the details considerably compared to even the solar continuum filter.

I suppose I'd better get off the fence and buy one or other of these as a test then, if nobody's had a go yet?

Astroman, its £180 here, so about $180 or thereabouts. :)

Captain Chaos

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't got a CaK setup at the moment, it was on my list of possibles before I pulled the trigger on the Big Mak that's on its way to me.

There's some on here (unless recent troubles have messed them up) by Pete Lawrence in the solar section, or try Google images.

Captain Chaos

Archived