NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

strange eyepeice for newton

I was given an old homemade 8 inch newtonian in need of some tlc. It has a focusing tube which is just a 1.25 inch threaded tube. it is not home made and has an eyepeice that seems to have a 5mm focal length and is of doutbfull utility. Is it still possible to get eyepieces to fit it or will a new focuser be in order?

oh yes, had the tape measure out. actually the image is not bad. the mirror has a few spots and watermarks but seems to work quite well, will be getting it recoated at some point tho. it is handmade and has been recoated only once in 40 years. the image is sharp pretty much to the edge of field but the secondary seems badly sratched. in veiwing bright targets [jupiter] without the filter that i havn't got, two flares of light that is wedge shaped radiating out from image at 180 degrees. this rotates as i turn the eyepiece so i assume that the eyepiece has a problem. out of focus on a star the airy rings are gratifyingly regular and central. it is quite slow[about f7] so quite forgiving in the matter of collimation. the focuser is an old pattern that is obsolete and i only have the one lens so i will have to fork out for a modern one. by the by if anyone is still using that type and can use it and the eyepiece for a project give me a shout. going free

I was given an old homemade 8 inch newtonian in need of some tlc. It has a focusing tube which is just a 1.25 inch threaded tube. it is not home made and has an eyepeice that seems to have a 5mm focal length and is of doutbfull utility. Is it still possible to get eyepieces to fit it or will a new focuser be in order?

Just get someone to cut the right thread onto a Delos...

Archived