NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

sidereal watches... resonable buy or change?

garethmob

hello guys

im after a few technical questions really

iv googled and i cant find any mention of a sidereal watch only clocks (like what FLO sell)

now i have come across something interesting

a sidereal watch/clock quatz crystal ossilates at roughly 32.8577 kHz where a normal is 32.7680 kHz (give or take a few numbers here or there)

is it possiable to get a different ossilating crystal and "change out" the watches crystal to the other one?

if it is where can i find the crystals?

I wondered about this a while back and came upon a thread by somebody thinking of doing a crystal swap.

Sidereal time

I also found various sites offering sidereal clocks. But then I asked myself how much I really needed such a thing: fun to have, but not essential unless you're doing, say, postional measurements requiring observatory accuracy - which I'm not.

It does depend on longitude, so any clock/watch needs calibrating for its particular site - another downside for a watch.

There are various phone apps and java applets, e.g. this one:

Local Sidereal Time Clock

In practice I just use a planisphere: set it to the time and date and take the right ascension reading due south. This is good enough for my purposes.

Which bits confused u Saturn 10? We might be able to help!

I see what u mean peter that u would effectiy need to set it for the"local time" that the zenith / median currently is at. I just was thinking that it be pretty cool to have a watch that would show it.

I like a few apps but they have too much glare on my iPhones n macbook pros screen :icon_salut:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 years later...
On 10/31/2011 at 12:32, hunterknox said:

"How about a Daniels "space traveller"? Just about the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Probably about the same price as a couple of reasonable houses, mind you."

It just sold in auction again... for more than a couple reasonable houses in most parts of the world. It is a beautiful time piece - that hasn't changed.

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2011 at 23:51, garethmob said:

too much glare on my iPhones n macbook pros screen :icon_salut:

I've never owned an apple product (refuse to give them house-room on principle), but my smart phone has a really effective dimmer when it comes to screen brightness (can hardly see it in some cases) and I think I can get an app. which gives a red-hue to the screen too. 

It seems to me that there is still quite  market for telescope and night vision style apps for Smartphones.  I find taking mine out with me when I use the telescope to be very useful - things like sidereal clocks, screen dimness/redness etc. could all be incorporated into some sort of telescope users toolbox app.  It's a pity I'm not into app. design and build - I'd make one!! 

Archived