Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pentax XL 7mm on 6SE SCT

Can't really go wrong with an f/10 'scope and the Pentax XL is an excellent series of eyepieces. The 7mm version will give you about 215x magnification which is a nice high power for planets and the smaller DSO's. You should do well with that one :D

Thanks Gordon, another question - sorry- What's the thinking on TV powermate x5 to get 5mm out of my 25mm (300x) vs the 7mm Pentax....

Thanks in advance :D

as long as the 25mm is a quality eyepiece theres nothing wrong with that tack at all. The powermate is an excellent piece of kit, but it's use with your SCT will be limited to the longer focal length eyepieces of course. The "prime" eyepiece will tend to be slightly brighter as there is less glass in the way, but I doubt many could tell the difference (I couldn't)

Theres a similar sort of comparison here: http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=272

Not identical but it gives you some idea

Archived