Just a quick Synscan question.

Clocks go forward tomorrow night.

1) Say I start observing at 23:00 and roll over into DST at 00:30 will I have to re align the mount as I assume it will begin to show tracking errors????

2) If I choose to leave it till 00:30 before I commence observing, do I enter the time as I see it sponsored by Accurist and select the DST yes option at set up ???

3) Or observe from 23:00 set home position at 23:50 shut down have a cup of Rosie then set up again ??

Either choice can someone please clarify do I enter the correctly adjusted time and select the DST yes option at set up ??

Just leave it running. The handset doesn't know when GMT takes over from BST. If you set up at 23.00, enter the current time and select yes to DST. If you set up after midnight but before 01.00, but have not adjusted your clocks, still select the current time and yes to DST. If you set up 1 hour after midnight BST but have not set your clock back to GMT use the same setup as above. If you have adjusted your clock to GMT set the time to this and select no to DST.

Peter

Thanks Peter. Reading that what is the point in the DST option? What I mean is that every time you set up you have to enter the current time anyway so what would be the point in the offset of the DST YES/NO.:icon_salut: I take it other parts of the UK don't run DST ??

The UK time zone is +00.00 which is GMT. The handset's astronomical coordinate data is based on GMT. During summertime the DST (daylight savings time) option is required to correct for the 1 hour difference in the times. If you don't select DST = yes during summertime the intial star alignments will be 15 degrees out and you may fail to align the mount. It is possible to use the handset for the entire year using GMT if you always enter the time as GMT.

Peter

Archived