NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Synscan AZ goto Handset is Dead!

Chris M48

After several months of problems with Synscan system the handset has finally died. ie Will not boot up or initialise. I've checked power source to input of mount and it's ok at constant 13.4v. Don't know whether problem is with mount or HS.

Has anyone had similar problem and recovered?

There appears to have been several posts of failing electronics on these systems over the last year. I suspect that a search would extract quite a few along similar lines.

You really need to borrow a good handset to see if that works, if it does then it implies the problem is your handset. If it doesn't work then it would imply the mount end.

Do you know anyone who could lend you a handset for a couple of hours, all you want to do is plug it in and see if it works.

Assuming it is the handset then you need another, unfortunately not common and not cheap. Alternatively a laptop, possibly notebook (?), to load software on to to drive the scope. Presuming here that this is possible.

Could try a wanted ad here or on UK Buy and Sell.

Sorry Peter, not sure what you mean by psu. I did open up HS and AZ mount to see if there was anything obvious. Kept away from chips etc but no loose or burnt connections that I could see.

Ta everso.

If I connect HS direct to psu and data line laptop as if carrying out firmware update as well as 0 and 8 keys then LED shows 'Synscan Update v1.4'. Otherwise nowt.

Ta

What happens if you connect the handset to the psu but not put it into update mode ? If the handset is working you will get an error message and the handset will go into stand alone mode. If this doesn't happen the handset could be dead or may need the firmware to be reflashed.

Peter

As luck would have it my lovely new Skyliner 250PX Synscan dob is due for delivery next week. Maybe it's interchangeable enough so that I can check the AZ mount. BTW I've asked OVL if they would have a look at the HS with a view to fixing it if they can. Dunno whether they prefer to have my £170 for a replacement handset. Cynical ol git that I am.

• 3 weeks later...

Sent handset to OVL pleading with them to have a look. They sent me a replacement that solves all of my previous Synscan goto problems. A big thanks to OVL for all their help. Thanks too to all those at SGL and members for their suggestions and patience with my grumbling.

Archived