Been offered a scope..is is worth it?

Up until now ive been using 10x50 binos and have been lusting after getting a scope! i dont want to spend a fortune at this time but obviously want something that will offer better/more stable views over the binos.

I've been offered a Skylux 70/700 refractor, fully boxed in good condition with the tripod/eq mount etc for £55

Is this an okay scope for a beginner for casual observing? or would i be better saving the money and sticking to the binos?

cant comment on the brand but a quick google should do it. but for 55 quid I would say you cant go wrong. at the very worst you end up with a mount for your bins!

i think it would be the next step up from bins so id go for it, you'll see more and itl get you hooked and you'll soon get the sickness!

Hi 5th,

Yep seems okay to me, reasonably wide field with the 700mm focal length too.

the eq mount aswell is a good addition, I have used old Tasco's on A-z and they are just awful to keep steady.

as for the cost it depends what you think would warrant a reasonable cost for casual use, Like you suggest £55 won't break the bank and you'd have to nearly double it to get anything that would be a lot better.

These scopes were being sold by Lidl last year for £49.99. They are not bad scopes as such as long as you have realistic expectations but £55 is not really a bargain if it was originally bought from Lidl.

Archived