Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Teslescope storage

Hi. Am brand new to the lounge so sorry if this Q has been covered elsewhere.

Have just purchased my first telescope, the Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ MD. I cannot keep it assembled when not in use for reasons of space. (No pun intended!) Plus, I need to be able to transport it safely.

How do I store all the bits? I had thought about one of those large plastic boxes with snap-on lids with smaller boxes for the mount, weights and lenses and perhaps a drawstring bag for the tripod.

How have you more experienced astronomers tackled the problem?

I would welcome any advice.

(Oops sorry. I mispelt 'telescope'. Not a promising start!)

Hi Hinch,

Certainly some storage for the eypieces (mine are in folding footrest in the conservatory!). However after that, no need to box up the weights. I would unscrew the counter weight pole from the mount leave a little grease on the thread fold tripod put pole & weights by it cover with 99p tarp from b&q leave in garage. If you cover the main scope just make sure no spiders or wild life get into it. I kept my 8"newt with tube cap & ep cap on just like that with no probs.

My meade giant tripod is currently covered with same 99p tarp tied underneath so that it cannot blow off and left to fend for itself in the garden!.

Cheers

Youir idea seems fine - use the plastic boxes. The only precaution is that when coming in from the cold you may either have or get dew formation all over everything! Just leave things in the open (or with the lids off) until everything has dried out - it will be fine then to box up and put it away until the next clear night.

Archived