Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 1528

Celestial Dave

A lovely clear sky this evening, and I believe I locked this cluster down :D

My 1st ever DSO:hello2:

I used a 114 astromaster, polar aligned as best as I could get it (probably not that well but I took my time and got as close as I could)

Saw a lovely twinkling bright star slightly higher than Jupiter and over to the left some way, so I closed in on it..

got a reasonable view with a 10mm eye-piece and checked the co-ordinates with stellarium, and I firmly believe this was the cluster I hit

I feel very happy for having some success after a couple nights of cloudy skies :)

Congrats on getting your first DSO! There are quite a few open clusters in that area. Many of them very nice. Try looking through binoculars a while, and you will track down a lot for closer inspection with your scope.

Regarding polar alignment: do not worry too much in visual use. I don't have goto, so only use the RA motor for tracking, and that means setting the mount to 53 deg in my case, leveling the mount with the built in spirit level (if I can be bothered, I often do it by eye), and point the polar axis north. Good enough to get good tracking.

Archived