Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron SkySync GPS

Does anyone have any experience of the SkySync GPS? Have been looking, but as it is a very expensive piece of kit would it offer real benefits or is it just another piece of fancy gear?????? I know the co-ordinates of my back garden already. I suppose it would input all the data for you instead of you having to do it, date, time, etc?

It would probably come into it's own if you are going to multiple locations.

One thing that could potentially go in it's favour however is if it can give accurate information when looking for objects with the goto. I have never been able to get a 3 star alignment with my scope. I do the 2 star one, but it then doesn't put the chosen object bang in the centre of the eyepiece. I normally have to use the 25mm ep which has a wider field of view. The scope will then slew to within striking distance of it so it is visable somewhere in the ep. Then I usually have to slew to it and then centralise it.

It certainly it is alot of money just to save the user from inputting a little bit of data into the handset if thats all it can do. If it can accurately guide you to objects then it could be worth investing though.

Hi there.

I do not know about the unit you are referring to but I have a GPS reciever and all it will do is tell the mount where it is ect.

It cannot tell which way it is pointing or at what angle so unless there are some real fancy electronics on this unit I cannot see it will do anything else.

Graham.

hi Malc,

if like me you do like to get as close to your exact coordinates as possiable and you have a laptop, netbook you can buy a usb dongle around £20 mark, or if you have a new style all singing and dancing mobile download an app called astro panel, gives alot of information and longitude/latitude to a resonable degree, i managed to get it to as close as 61 meters which will do for me.

alot cheaper than the plug in celestron job.

Archived