Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binoculars won't focus to infinity

GazK

I picked up this pair of Olympus bins second-hand - they're fine except for one very serious problem - they won't focus to infinity. So useless for astro.

6273178628_501414bbef.jpg

As you can see the focuser yolk is hard down against the prism chamber:

6273165330_040b661a01.jpg

Is there anything I can do about this?

That's odd. Is the problem on both sides ? In the second pic, the right hand eyepiece, with the diopter adjustment, looks like it has further travel available towards the prism chamber.

Apart from that, can you contact the seller about the issue ? If you take them apart, then the seller won't want them back, they're definitely yours then.

Hope you sort it, Ed.

Yes, it is on both sides. The diopter could be screwed in further - thats the gap you're seeing - but the part with the white dot on is the lowest part of the moving element, so there is no space between this and the body on either side.

I bought them months ago from a local camera shop and have only just got around to using them, so taking back isn't an option.

I have this problem if I do not wear my glasses. Do you need glasses and do you wear them when using binoculars?

One or two of the older sets do not have adjustable eye cups that accomodate wearing glasses so with them my eyes cannot be at the right place, if I take the glasses off then I cannot focus on infinity.

All I can think of.

Archived