First Scope - Celestron NexStar 4 (XLT) SE v Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT v SkyMax 127

but the SkyWatcher has more objects in its database.

I wouldn't worry too much about that -many of them won't be visible in either scope so it's not relevant - both will have the objects the scope is capable of seeing.

The 4SE also has the following EQ North/EQ South alignment options:

1. EQ Auto Align

2. EQ Two-Star Align

3. EQ One-Star Align

4. EQ Solar-System Align

Again, not really relevant,

1. Sky Align

2. Auto Two-Star Align

3. Two Star-Align

4. One Star-Align

5. Solar Align

Will be adequate, don't get too hung up with "functions" - you won't need them. As said, if you have a chance of looking through both before buying, what you see will make your mind up.

Good luck!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to agree with Sim, it's pointless getting hung up on all the technical blurb. Unless you happen to live miles and miles from populated areas, under perfect dark, still transparent air then you won't get the full potential from any scope, regardless how many thousands of objects it has in it's database. And even then I doubt if there would be much difference to the human eye between the lot of them.

If the OP were comparing a 200P, 80ED, C6, and 127 then this would be different... but he's comparing three scopes, two of which are basically the same scope with a different paint scheme. IMO there is little in it and it's really going to be down to personal taste on what looks good, that he finds easier to use, and fits his budget.

If the OP is really unsure... Contact a local astronomy society, see if any members have these scopes and try and pop along to an observing session to see them in use and only then will he get to make up his mind... assuming he wants to put that amount of effort into researching similar scopes.

When I was looking for mine, the extra 1" issue didn't last for long, as I was told that the coating in the 4se is superior and match the extra 1" of the 127.

That was how I was beginning to think better quality smaller scope - will see if I can find a dealer local to London so that I can see the final selection

When I was looking for mine, the extra 1" issue didn't last for long, as I was told that the coating in the 4se is superior and match the extra 1" of the 127.

With respect, that sounds like hype to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Starfish,

did you managed to decide which scope. I am looking at exactle the same 2 scopes, the 4 SE and the 127 SLT and chanced upon this thread. I am leaning towards the 4 SE since i do want the ability for terrestrial viewing.

telescopes.com also having a great promo for 4 SE - they are giving a way a free filter eyepieces set.

Archived