Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Amazon

mijijim

Hi,

I often buy my books on astronomy from Amazon Canada,

as the choice is very good. On the web site it says 4 to 6 weeks

for delivery, Imagine my surprise when DHL turned up at my

door with the book (Nightwatch spiral bound by Terence

Dickenson) to-day, I ordered it Sunday evening.

Three cheers for both Amazon ca. and DHL.

mijijim.

• 7 years later...

We are all familiar with buying from Amazon. The Warehouse is where "returned, warehouse-damaged, used, or refurbished products that are in good condition" to use their words, are offered for sale.
I have used the Warehouse many times over the years and had some good (non astro) buys.

Another statement from Amazon is "We thoroughly test the functional and physical condition of each item and give the product a specific grade before selling it".
In my experience, this statement is often incorrect. Items are often sent out unchecked.

If you take a look at the section where scopes and associated items are offered, there are a lot of the low cost/performance products that most on SGL would not give a second glance.
However, sometimes there are better products.

Recently I purchased a Celestron 127Mak on Alt/az goto mount.
This was described as a good used item in original package with damage, and cosmetic damage on the accessories.
At around 2/3 of the normal price, it had to be worth a try.

On arrival it was obvious that the item had been opened and resealed - by the end user.
The clear tape on the outside of the double box had been crudely applied by hand.
Internal packaging was damaged and risked the (expensive) stuff getting broken.
Items had not been stowed correctly.
In other words this item had been bought, returned to Amazon and then sent out unchecked.
There no evidence of proper packing, a parcel tape dispenser being used, or replacement padding.
All are expected when repacking by a despatch department.

Looking at the OTA, there was surplus grease around the centre tube and some had dropped onto the inside of the corrector plate.
Obviously this was the reason for the original purchaser rejecting the item.
There was nothing at all to indicate the OTA had been opened by the purchaser - this is covered in a different thread.
So it looks like the scope left Celestron in this state.

The good news is that Amazon Warehouse take things back within a month, without argument.
The package was collected by Hermes today and my refund is awaited.
Refunds can take a week after the parcel delivery to Amazon from my experience.
I have only had to chase up a refund on one occasion.

There are possible bargains in the Warehouse, but check carefully as soon as possible after arrival.

Always consider the item cost against the new price. There is no warranty or return or refund beyond 30 days.
An important consideration if buying items with electronics - like goto mounts, cameras, etc.

Archived