ok lets start again

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wonder if there is way to cross reference the members list with where they stay?

im sure i read a thread the other day on here from a chap who stayed in pembrokeshire , im sure there must be members local to you would help ( stargazers love showing off there kit !)

remeber if you go for a dob you will need to invest in tweed clothes and smoke a pipe !! :)

i can chuck the 12"reflector in the back of the car and the base no probs i can video and take great pics with a cannon dslr no probs ,its quick to set up ,it might not track but i can still get a thousands pluss,frames via video

am sure that some one local to you would help you out they not that hard to use even the harder eq mounts

but its a hard choice to make some times

The LS8 has good aperture and is able to set itself up. They are not very numerous over here, you also have the LS6 at slightly lower cost. Make sure that the one you get (if you do) has the Light Switch functionality. The 6" comes with and without the full auto set up. Not sure about the 8".

I have seen the LS6 and for all it is the smaller of the 2, it is still a reasonable size when it comes to physical size and weight.

One thing about the LS scopes is that Meade did beef up the drive area, think they used the drive mechanism from their bigger scopes in the 6" and I have not read of problems in it. Have a look at the Cloudy Nights forum, it is US based, the LS's are more popular over there and they have a section specifically for Meades.

One thing I have noticed is that Meades seem to be the choice of scopes in astro clubs. There are 2 clubs around me and both have 8" Meades and 14" Meades, one club has 2 or 3 Meades. So they cannot be that bad.

The setup on a Meade is fairly easy, I am assuming that the big ones have the same options as the small ones, or as some have GPS built in even easier. Having used both I would say that the Meade setup and alignment is easier then the Celestron.

Celestron assume some knowledge, Meades assume you have none. Also there have been a few recent posts here on SGL concerning problems with Celestron electronics.

If you can manage a visit to a club it should be helpful. Would advise you to contact them first and check/ask how many scopes will be present and ask what types/makes as it seems you are looking at something along the lines of a 6-8" SCT. In effect check if such will be there before you travel.

ok here we go for mayb asking 1 of the silliest questions ever asked but ho well when using either the C8 or LS8 when ou have aligned them and say look at jupiter will it stay in FOV or do you have to keep moving it? so say i ask it to "goto" jupiter and want the kids to all have a look will i have to keep adjusting it so they can or will it stay so they can see?

sorry did say i was a newb at the start :)

thankyou so ALL goto scopes can track? and i will need to set how fast it tracks? how will i know what to set that at? and once set will it stay like that?

thankyou srry for all the newb questions but keep reading and not always understanding lol have booked a home course in astrology march next yr lol maybe i will learn something ( you can teach an old dog new tricks-well that what i been told :) )

thankyou so ALL goto scopes can track? and i will need to set how fast it tracks? how will i know what to set that at? and once set will it stay like that?

thankyou srry for all the newb questions but keep reading and not always understanding lol have booked a home course in astrology march next yr lol maybe i will learn something ( you can teach an old dog new tricks-well that what i been told :) )

:(:eek::p:eek::(:eek:. Try again!!!

Re Goto, the handbook should list the correct tracking rate for a given object and you can manually realign with the arrow keys on the handset.

There is a camera shop in on teh junction wit Saint Cathrine steet and Parcmaen St Carmarthern that sells telescopes see their web page.

Telescopes | Skywatcher Telescopes, Explorer 130, Skymax 127, Explorer 200P, Eyepieces, Accessories, Evostar, Startravel, Skywatcher Dealer | Carmarthen Camera Centre Ltd., Digital & Used Cameras & Accessories

at least you can get to see a scope first hand, not sure of how knowledgabe they are there though, as i have neve used them.

OK i think i know one of them Ask for Neil he should be able to assist call them b4 making a journey

I found the camera shop thankyou but they dont do any of the scopes i'm interested in they have a few sky watcher reflector scopes on show but they are a camera shop and scopes seem to just be a side item when asked they seemed to have basic knowledge of them but thats about it also they have an e-bay shop that is not 100% so would be nervous of buying 1 from them to be honest anyway.

I think at the end of the day it will be C8 or LS8 that we end up with , am reading forums/reviews on both from many places to make a final decision.

Archived