NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mirror kits

Hypernova

Whilst flicking through the various pages on Galvoptics' (Image Optics?) site I came across a page advertising mirror making kits.

Here: telescope mirror kits. how to build a newtonian telescope

Apparently all the equipment and materials needed to make a parabolic mirror are included; Glass blank (not sure if low-expansion or not), grinding tool, optical pitch and Cerox powder. There is also a how-to guide below that can be bought alongside the kit but I assume that this sort of material is freely available online somewhere.

Who here thinks that buying the kit would be a good idea, has anyone ever had a go at producing their own mirror from one? To my untrained eye it looks like it might be an ideal project to while away my free time over the winter months, and when the skies are cloudy. It could end up being the base of a home-made 'scope project, if that is the case then I would like to start with a mirror of around 6" in diameter and grind to a nice mid-range f/6 or thereabouts.

The price seems okay, £46.63 for the 150mm kit plus £20.56 postage (very precise amounts of money :)), although I would have to include the cost of coating and the purchase of a secondary mirror.

I would appreciate others' views of the kits on offer :)

Take a look at this thread by mirror maker John Nichol, it is a very informative article by a very knowledgeable man.

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/113596-making-12-inch-mirror.html

As for the kits, there's the hassle of sourcing all the items separate, the price seems "about right". (I'm grinding a 10" mirror under John's guidance at the moment). There are a few more costs to incur along the way, i.e. test kit for testing the mirror figure (which can be made for a few quid), and wood backing for tools etc, but nothing too bad.

Hope that helps.

Steve.

When I was young (1960s- yes I'm really really old) commercial telescopes and mirrors were very expensive and making your own was the only way unless you were super rich. I made several and it was lots of fun.

Now It only makes sense financially if you want premium quality or something big. There is much more satisfaction using a scope that you made yourself, so go for it. The kits are a good way to get started. If you find that you like it, you can get the supplies for your second one by shopping around.

There is a wealth of information on the web, especially SGL, Yahoo groups, and Cloudy Nights. Advanced amateur telescope makers (ATMs) now use Bath Interferometers for super accurate testing and Mirror-O-Matic grinding and polishing machines to take the labour out of making big mirrors. Both can be made at home cheaply.

I'm back at it again and have big plans for making my best observatory yet!

Eric

Archived