Double Spot on Jupiter.

What time do you mean? Up until 8:00ish there was the shadow of Io crossing the disc.

Jupiter's Moons

The Great Red Spot (pinkish) was crossing 10-12ish

Transit Times of Jupiter's Great Red Spot - Interactive Observing Tools - SkyandTelescope.com

There are also a couple of small red spots (deep red) in the northern equatorial band which really stand out.

Keep an eye on the planetary imaging forum Imaging - Planetary - Stargazers Lounge - after a good night then you see lots of great images and you can usually find some taken at the same time as you were looking so you can see what you were looking at :D

The spots in the NEB were fascinating last night. Lots of detail in Jupiter last night around 02:00 to 03:00, albeit fleetingly. I missed the GRS as the planet isn't in view from my garden observing spot until the early hours, but going off what I could see I've no doubt it would have stood out well.

I saw a spot on the bottom thinner band in my Dob (not sure if that is NEB or SEB - can anyone enlighten me?) when I first observed about 10-ish. The double spots I saw were in the same band at about 1.45- 2.15.

Is the GRS in this band or the upper one when I am viewing Jupiter in my Dob?

Thanks for your help.

Simon

I saw a spot on the bottom thinner band in my Dob (not sure if that is NEB or SEB - can anyone enlighten me?) when I first observed about 10-ish. The double spots I saw were in the same band at about 1.45- 2.15.

Is the GRS in this band or the upper one when I am viewing Jupiter in my Dob?

The slightly thinner equatorial band is the NEB and that is where these dark "spots" or barges as they are known were - on the N edge of it. There seem to be a number there at the moment and you can sometimes see two or more on the disk at once.

The GRS is embedded in the S side of the SEB so in your dob that would appear the upper one.

Yes very interesting and informative, Simon and I were observing together last night at a site in South Leicestershire; these two darkish red spots that we saw at around 1:30-2am had us confused since we had assumed we saw the GRS in this same band earlier. The seeing was pretty good considering the near full moon. We shared some exceptional views of Jupiter, the Owl nebula, Cat Eye, and Coat hanger using my brand new Celestron Ultima LX 13mm; (I can strongly recommend this EP) and the seeing was so good we were able to use Simons 6mm Delos on Jupiter for tremendous detail.

Thanks for the informative reply to Simons query.

Archived