Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Documentary film about Transit of Venus

Steven van Roode

Filmmaker Maarten Roos just released a wonderful 6-minute teaser for the documentary film "Our Last Transit of Venus". Watch the teaser at

Maarten will follow with his camera three groups while they prepare for the 2012 transit of Venus. One of these groups are the participants of the experimental archaeology project, led by Randall Rosenfeld. They will observe the transit with 18th and 19th century telescopes.

Another group that will be followed are the thousands of amateurs and students all over the world that will use a free phone app to time the exact moments of contact, thus determining the distance to the Sun. This is you!

Make sure to watch the teaser!

Steven van Roode

I remember taking the day off work for the transit and had three scopes watching it, my C10-NGT, an 8" Helios on an EQ5 and my birding scope + my 10x42 Leica's and a bunch of Baader film. And the special on telly with Sir Patrick. While on a permanent call to my Uncle who had his 16" & his Coranado following it. What a day, I really enjoyed it.

Archived