The call of the dark side

I seem to be finding myself leaning towards the dark side of this hobby which is imaging.

Slowly mastering my webcam on planets but would really love to image dso.

I got the chance of a cannon 1000d body only (I believe this is all you need, No lenses).

Will this be good to get going?

To grab good DSO pics you will need to be able to guide.

Your mount may be excellent with top notch Periodic Error Correction.. in which case subs of maybe 30 seconds could be doable. With mine 5 seconds without guiding is roughly the limit. (1500mm fl.. and I'm picky when it comes to guideing)

If you are going to guide you need one of two things as well as a guide camera (which could be a high sensitivity webcam.. a MONO cam if you can). Either an Off Axis Guider.. which tend to work better with higher sensitivty, more expensive guiders, or a guide scope.

Personally I hate guide scopes only marginally more than light pollution... but if you're imaging at short enough focal lengths then they can work well, but they do need very very very securely mounting to the other scope.

Right now, for you, I'd just take some pics unguided. Then fix the biggest problem and try again. Your first images will probably not be very good, but you'll learn a lot and have a lot of fun playing, and save money by only fixing problems that need fixing.

Derek

Archived