Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eye pieces and Barlows for Nexstar 102

I am think about upgrading the 10mm and 25mm eye pieces for my Nexstar 102 (which I love) I use the 10mm most often as I spend most of my time doing planetary and lunar work (hence the refractor) I was thinking about buy a barlow X2 and a couple of better quality eye pieces. so here we go what would you suggest in the way of eyes pieces, another 9 or 10 mm and a better quality 25mm and some filters? what happens if I put my 10mm through a barlow, is it over the top?....what do we think

Great night for it tonight Jupiter looks fab.

As I read the NS102 is an f/6.5 refractor, so about 650mm FL.

A 5mm should be OK but unless the barlow and the eyepiece are decent then I would opt for a 5mm eyepiece rather then the 10mm + Barlow.

From experience of them I would suggest the BST Explorers from Skys the Limit. Little wider field and I have found them very good as have others.

They come in 5mm, 8mm, 12mm, 15mm, 18mm, 25mm.

How about the 8mm and the 18mm ?

Later get the 5mm for higher magnification ~130x and probably as high as the 102 will sensibly accept.

If you go for the barlow option then try for a Tal barlow, good reputation, and possibly the 12mm BST. This would give 12mm and 6mm when barlowed.

Have the TMB II's and the BST Explorers.

Prefer the BST Explorers, but not really compared one against the other as a specific test.

Only BST "drawback" is that the TMB's are available in shorter focal lengths, 3.2mm, 4mm and 4.6mm I think. If you didn't go for less then 5mm I would opt for the BST's over the TMB's.

But eyepieces are a personel thing, what I like you may not.

If you buy from Alan he may send you one of each and you send back the one you don't prefer.

Any chance of a location for you?

Archived