Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AZ mount for Vixen A80MF Refractor

Karlos

I'm looking at getting the above Vixen refractor for some grab and go viewing of the moon, planets and doubles. The mount needs to be AZ for ease of quick, grab and go sessions and fairly usable. I'm looking at getting a AZ3 mount, would I be able to use this scope with this mount, or would I need extras like a compatible dovetail?

Thanks in advance.

I have mine on a Vixen Porta-II, which is a nice combination.

The A80Mf comes with tube rings and standard Vixen/Skywatcher dovetail, so you just need a mount with the appropriate saddle. It's hard to tell from the pictures of the AZ3 if it does, doesn't look like it, but it may be possible to bolt the dovetail in place somehow.

edit: while the Porta-II may seem like quite a lot more money, a nice Alt-Az is one of those bits of kit that will give you years of use while 'scopes may come and go, so it's money pretty well spent.

Hey Ben and Nerro, thank you both for your replies.

I jumped the gun abit and ordered the AZ3, whilst I'm sure the Vixen Porta-II is a better mount, this scope is abit of a stepping stone, keep me smiling whilst I save for a Dob. I've had a good hunt around for the saddle and dovetail compatibility, but its not clearly documented anywhere I could find, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see :D

The AZ3 won't be saddle/doetail compatable but you will be able to bolt the tube rings direct to the top plate no problem. You may find that some form of counterweight system is required for the telescope but there are plenty of DIY solutions for that if it's needed. I'm sure that combination will be very pleasing to use.

Ant

Hey A McEwan, thanks for the suggestion, although with the setup as it is, arrived yesterday seems to handle the scope perfectly fine for visual which has been a relief, I thought maybe the long tube would be a problem.

Hi Karlos,

I had a simple plate made that bolts onto the az3 with two holes for the doveplate saddle. Result two fracs swap between az3 & az4.

And thanks Ant had similar issues with the balance, only found out when in the Highlands on hols in our regular stay in Strathconon. Found a similar counter balance works great, but yours looks better. :-)

I know it's slightly off-topic, but I've got to let you all know that I've had my modified AZ3 for several years now, and still own and use it very regularly, despite having tried many other alt-az mounts in the meantime! Admittedly, I haven't tried the AZ4, but I think I'd miss the slow-mo controls...

Ant

Archived