Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

For the 1,000,000,000,000 time

I started a thread on here a few months ago because I just couldn't get the same result twice with my Hotech, FLO pointed out it was probably due to the focuser in my dob not being up to the job.

I'm sure the Hotech is a great piece of kit in a quality scope with a well-made focuser, but I use a Cheshire now and haven't looked back.

EDIT - I see the OP has a Crayford so I'm sure the Hotech will to a great job.

hi yes do have a crayford fitted to the reflector did a star test last night every thing seems good but still would like a laser one as up down up down seems to be a drag some times

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well the star need to be centered, so you need to go back to adjust the screws, then peak and recenter the star, and repeat this multiple times.

I've done it before but it's not nearly as practical as using the laser.

thanks its fine now had a look last night seems good to go

Ahhh, I have just learnt a lot from this.

I bought a baader laser, as it allowed me to collimate on my own ( using bobs knobs) on my 200 Dob.

So I thought this was the dogs, YKW's

I havent thought to check with the cheshire, as that involves Missus Wise, and she no lighty, no likey.

I have however whizzed the star out of focus, and it looks right.

BUT, I hadnt thought the laser would need collimating ( if so, whats the point, do i buy something else to collimate the laser? etc etc etc?).

Also if my SW focusser is not up to the job, then it seems a laser is pointless. I bought my dob in June, so does that mean I have the focusser that will work with the laser?

so, where does that leave me? In an iron coffin with nails on the inside?

I hadnt thought the laser would need collimating ( if so, whats the point, do i buy something else to collimate the laser? etc etc etc?).

No, you make a jig.

I don't mean do a dance - I mean you make a little wooden stand, or fashion one out of something else. You lay the colimator down and roll the thing in-place on the stand and see if its laser-dot remains projected in the same place on the far wall of the room as you roll it. If the dot sweeps around a bit, then it's misaligned...

I think there's some articles you can Google.

Archived