First Meetup

Last week I attended my first astronomical group meetup it was with St Neots astronomical society.

Just wanted tot say a massive thanks to all, I got to look through some awesome telescope/binoculars and see some objects that I never expected to see in my relatively new field of interest.

Everyone was helpful and welcoming, which was gratefully received

And in turn confirmed that joining a group of like minded people is indeed a great way for a newbie to progress in astronomy with helpful and informative guidance that can only be gained from experience.

I am really looking forward to the next meetup and have my fingers crossed for a clear night :)

Also would just like to apologise for maybe hogging certain telescopes and views, I just could not help myself and I was completely aware that there was other new members that were as eager to view as me :)

TBH I could have stood there all night :happy1:

Thanks again.

West

Hi West, good to hear of your enjoyment with your new club. If anyone reading this is thinking of joining an astro club/society then I would encourage them to do so.

Most are friendly and very helpful, as you seem have found.

Regards, Ed.

It was a good night - seeing wasn't as good as it could be - but was good for a public viewing that the heavens played ball to some degree...:)

Still alot of sky glow could have done with it being darker - but guess if clear skies next month should be a great evening of viewing :)

West, glad to hear you had a cracking time and that you found it a useful experience. I do bang on here a lot about people getting stuck in and that observation evenings run by astro societies and observing groups are an important part of that knowledge building exercise. Getting up close to some of this gear is important in understanding their portability, set up/cool down times and how they interface with the mysterious world of eyepieces. Did you make a note of any that you looked through or were you just too excited?:)

I bet you can't wait to get out there again and hopefully the clouds will be sympathetic to your cause - but I wouldn't hold your breath! :):D

James

Hi James,

I do remember looking through a 8" dobsonian and also some big binos. Also there was another 2 set ups which I spent alot of time around but I must admit I can not remember specifics on models etc.

One was a celestron and was a huge bit of kit. the other was a slightly smaller,

Both had goto mounts and gps units etc.

Saw some amazing sights including the ring nebula, the dumbell nebula and also some cracking views of Jupiter. I believe we also see a transit of one of the Galilean Moons which had me completely awe inspired.

Next time when I may not be so excited I will surely take more notices of what the telescopes are etc.

:rolleyes:

Big CPC was my scope -

Sadly wasn't as cooled as I would like - will try and get to next meet earlier and get the scope out to cool - pain of a larger app and glass in play is the scope takes longer to cool :rolleyes:

Should be darker on next meet and will put the filters in some ep's as the O3 on the ring or dumbell is awsome and the O3 on the Veil is MMMMMMmmmmmmm!!!

Chris

Archived