Subaru with the altair Astro 200 mm f/4 newt.

Luis Campos

Hi all,

Last Saturday I aimed at the Pleiades cluster also known as Subaru in japanese version :)

Altough the transparency was horrible with some strong smog in the atmosphere, this came out ok, with a lot of blue nebula comming trough, this imaging newt. beeing an f/4 system pulls a lot of light into to the 350D sensor, this is beautifull as you can keep exposure times very low and thus reduce noise in the final image :)

Here goes a full size version:

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2720/subarunewt200mmf4finalf.jpg

And a smaller version:

Hope you enjoy it,

Best wishes,

Luís

post-25681-133877675189_thumb.jpg

Super image...I wish I cold produce something half as good as this. Lovely tight stars and great processing.

One small criticism, if I may. I find the diffraction patterns a bit distracting as they are very long and have a "rainbow" effect to them. What's your thoughts on this?

I think the debate about DSLR and CCD needs to take F ratio into account more than it usually does. The only really serious quality DSLR images I've seen are from fast systems and your fine image is another example. Wonderful to see those lovely reddish tints coming through. You have got everything right in this image and made the most of that fast F ratio.

I will never like diffraction spikes but there's nothing you can do about that and some people really do like them.

Anyway, a great image on all counts.

Olly

Super image...I wish I cold produce something half as good as this. Lovely tight stars and great processing.

One small criticism, if I may. I find the diffraction patterns a bit distracting as they are very long and have a "rainbow" effect to them. What's your thoughts on this?

Hello there,

Thank you :rolleyes:

Well, about the difraction spykes, not much I can do about it as they are typical from a newtonian imaging bright stars, some peolple hate difraction spykes others love it, I do like them ;)

Cheers,

I think the debate about DSLR and CCD needs to take F ratio into account more than it usually does. The only really serious quality DSLR images I've seen are from fast systems and your fine image is another example. Wonderful to see those lovely reddish tints coming through. You have got everything right in this image and made the most of that fast F ratio.

I will never like diffraction spikes but there's nothing you can do about that and some people really do like them.

Anyway, a great image on all counts.

Olly

Salut Olly,

You're absolutely right about that.

When I was shearching for a newtonian to couple with my 350D I took these two things into account, generous aperture and fast f/ ratio, as DSLR's are noisy by nature if not cooled, if you have a fast telescope it's possible to reduce a lot exposure times and therefore reduce a great deal of noise on the final image, also by shoting with low ISO values the dynamic range is better and you'll get much better colors with less Photoshop "hammering" :rolleyes:

Best wishes,

Hello there,

Thank you :rolleyes:

Well, about the difraction spykes, not much I can do about it as they are typical from a newtonian imaging bright stars, some peolple hate difraction spykes others love it, I do like them ;)

Cheers,

One man's meat is another's poison!

I like diffraction spikes, but they seem a little obtrusive in that image IMHO.

It's a beautiful image, and a credit to your dedication and processing prowess.

Archived