NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC1805 - Unplanned Ha Mosaic... (How to finish?)

Due to a catalog of mistakes, I've allowed myself to be dragged into a mosaic with my MN190/314L+ on the Heart nebula - It was meant to be one single image of the centre, but I missed it entirely :cool: and got the top centre... So I had a 2nd go at it and this time got the top half of the centre (:)), so I had to spend a 3rd night getting the bottom of it :D

However, noticing the beginning of some interesting darker nebula, I wanted to capture the frame to the bottom right, but then found I'd got the centre left instead :), so just to even it up I somehow managed to correctly get the centre right pane next time out :D. By this time of course I had a cross-shaped mosaic, so I decided that I really ought to try and get the corners as well... I've got one so far:

IC1805Ha4806Nights211JPGLowres.jpg

To date, I've spent over 28 hours on getting these 6 panes (211 x 8 mins exposures of Ha), with still those pesky 3 corners to get (and I might want to go for one more on the bottom if I can). However, I can't see myself doing similar 9(10) pane mosaics with OIII and SII as it will simply take too much time - Even if I get the framing right :), that would be 18(20) nights, and I've only had 22 in the whole of the last year!

My original plan (for just the centre) was to take 40 of each filter with Ha @ 8mins, OIII @ 10 min and SII @ 12 mins, but I've had an idea about using my Equinox 80 to take the OIII and SII and then try using registar to align them - The FOV of a single image with the Equinox 80 would seem to more or less cover almost all that I might end up with (if I get the framing right :happy1:!)

Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Should I consider binning the OIII and SII? And what would be an advisable number / duration for SII / OIII subs with the Equinox 80 (assuming this a reasonable thing to do)?

Also re: processing, what I'm currently doing is saving a version of each pane after applying just one level (to set a consistent blackpoint across all panes) and then putting the whole lot into CS5 to run an automerge on them. After that, I'm applying more levels / curves before saving again - Is this what I should be doing for each NB filter, or should I leave each filter image alone after setting the blackpoint and then apply levels / curves etc when all channels are combined? I can see possible pros and cons of both methods...

unfortunally i cam't answer anything you're asking here, but i'd just like to say, keep going, becuase that mosaic is looking good already, and i've sure it will look stunningly good when completed, even if it's going to take a while :D

Cheers both - I managed to get another pane tonight, but I'm still obviously accident prone with this... I meant to get the bottom right, but somehow managed to get bottom left instead :D. However, as I was trying to multi-task, I accidently flooded the living room - I left the fishtank filling up which doused a 4 gang socket and the fuse box cut out... Which of course also curtailed my imaging run!

Unfortunately by the time I was set up again, the clouds had rolled in... but thankfully my wife was away tonight - Hopefully everything will have dried out before we all return on Monday night... :D

The one thing tonight did prove though is that I don't actually need to get 40+ images / pane. Tonight's was only 20 x 8 mins, but you really can't see the difference - If I can get just one more night (and don't screw the framing up ;)), I just might be able to finish the Ha... and then I can see how adding the SII and OIII with the Equinox 80 will work out. So here's 7 panes (231 x 8 mins)... (I just hope it's worth all the effort after all this...)

IC1805Ha4807Nights231JPGLowres.jpg

Thanks Sara - I really kick myself for not shooting the Ha with the Equinox 80 as well though... This would probably have been finished over a month ago! The living room is well, very wet... (And I have the other tank to do this morning - I shan't be leaving the room!)

Archived