Matsukov mask ?

It is not a Matsukov Mask.

It is simply a hole (sorry).

The idea is that for brighter things, read The Moon, you put the main cover on, remove the small cover and view with the scope like that.

The hole is also off set so that the secondary mirror and if I recall the spiders holding the secondary in place are not in the line of sight. So the image has less errors from having any of these in the way. Sharper image.

Suppose that with a proper solar filter that it is also applicable. The sun being bright means you dont need Baader film over the whole aperture, so again you could get away with covering the small aperture in the dust cover. Feel happier if the whole thing were covered however.

So all you have is a hole. (For a purpose however)

I do suspect that that hole has caused a lot of confusion however, as you are not the first, and will not be the last, to ask: What is it, and what is it for?

Hi a matsukov mask is a focusing aid it covers the end of your telescope but has lots of slits at different angles. FLO sell a different design called a Bahtinov Focus Mask which looks very similar. Do a search and all will be revealed

Hi a matsukov mask is a focusing aid it covers the end of your telescope but has lots of slits at different angles. FLO sell a different design called a Bahtinov Focus Mask which looks very similar. Do a search and all will be revealed

Must be having a moment of madness here Matsukov is I believe a design of telescope.

The info I gave about the Bahtinov mask is correct. I can't find any reference to a Matsukov mask

Hi

Since I hate giving people the wrong info I've done some checking. As far as I can see there is no such thing as a Matsukov mask. The Maksutov is a catadioptric telescope design. It is possible you are getting confused with the lens on the front of the telescope which is a characteristic of the design. Bahtinov & Hartman are the only names I can find associated with a mask. Guess you could argue that the end cap is a mask but other posts have already explained how to use the small hole in that. The Hartman focusing mask does look similar to the end cap but it has 3 equally placed holes in the mask. Like the Bahtinov it is used as a focusing aid. Most end caps have what appears to be 2 caps but only one can be removed so if you don't know any better it could be confused with a Hartman mask.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Archived