Upgrading my telescope

Hi all,

I've been using my Celestron Astromaster 70AZ for over a year now and have found it a great beginner scope, very good (considering its price) for observing the Moon and planets. However, I'm now thinking it's time to part ways with my trusty first telescope and move on to something different. I'm looking for something with better general power so I can get some closer views of the Moon/planets, but something which can also see deep space images relatively well - a reflector or dobsonian. I apologise for not knowing much, am still a beginner in the buying of telescopes department! With regards to price I'm on a student budget but have been putting some money aside for a while now and can probably go as high as £250ish - which I appreciate somewhat limits my choice! Thanks for help and advice!

Keep saving, an 8 or 10" dob is probably the answer. Secondhand will help you further. The issue is that to get a few eyepieces and maybe a better finder etc... don't forget the accessories and modding bits. Get more practice with your current scope, get along to some club observing sessions to check out what different scopes can offer and then you'll be in the best position to know what you want to get.

PEterW

Archived