Observing Log - Basic questions

Hi all

having had a few good nights of observing now i have started taking notes whilst out observing.

i have a few questions though.....

1) are there any good programs i can use to keep track of what i have seen ?

2) are there any things i should / shouldn't do when taking notes "in the field"

3) any other tips :)

thanks for your help.

Though not a program, I have included here an observation sheet (PDF format) that hopefully you can print out, that lays out some of the questions that you might like to answer during your observations. It has been taken from the Astronmical League website (US) where you can also find other observing lists detailing double stars etc that you might like to participate in - it's not all about the Messier objects! :):D

Hope that helps

James

I would, and do write down everything.

From successful observations to complete failures it makes good reading in the future.

If you cannot find something write it down, if a deer scares the he'll out of you, write it down, all makes good reading in the future.

I normally write down the date, time, where the observations being done from, the transparency and seeing conditions, the object, it's position (RA and Dec), the type of object and sub type (eg Globular cluster type V), the scope used and the magnification. Then make a summery of what can be seen through the eyepiece followed by footnotes of any feelings or abnormalities ( eg car pulled up and some moron shouted out "I can see Uranus." I gave him the bird).

I normally make brief notes on site and write it up properly when back home.

That would be my tips, if you wish to be more scientific perhaps a different way may be prudent.

Regards Steve

The only thing you might want to know is that the user interface is somewhat unintuitive and clunky. It takes a while to figure out what the heck is going on, but once you do it's rather powerful. I always use it to plan my observing sessions.

thanks for the replies

i'll get myself a proper book to keep all the details in i think.

using an old diary at the moment as a notepad.

just one question (at the moment)....

what is meant by seeing conditions ?

must be more than "it's dark and i can see stars" !

Archived