Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How do rate the skies around Sheffield?

Syntarsus

Hi,

I've just joined so I'm both new to SGL and to astronomy in general. So far I just have some binoculars and have been checking out the skies sporadically since last winter. I'm now contemplating a scope some time in the not too distant future.

What I'm wondering about is how good or bad are the skies around Sheffield? I've been out to the peak district on several moonless nights and been a bit disappointed. Finding M31 was really pretty challenging - I was only really was certain I'd seen it last week using a new pair of well reviewed (on here) 8x40 Opticrons, and then it was only a faint smear. I've also tried following some of the stuff in the book 'Stargazing with Binoculars' but with M31 supposedly being one of the brighter of the deep sky objects there doesn't seem much hope for the fainter ones.

So are there spots (or some nights) around Sheffield that are good for DSOs or does the light pollution from the surrounding cities mean it's never that good and it's best to focus on lunar and planetary stuff in this area?

Thanks

Steve

hi Steve and welcome

please be carefull when out with your equiptment on your own

this is why we wont go out alone,

when we lived at sheff5

we got a few good nights stargazing in our back garden

and had neighbours and friends round to look

it wasant brilliant by all means, but it was dark and we saw quite a bit.

on saying that we are easily pleased.lol

but since moving down here s9

nothing the light pollution is terrible.

chez/malc

Thanks and hi.

I'm definitely quite wary of going out alone in the peak district although as my equipment consists only a small pair of binoculars I'm pretty mobile. I went out on my bike one night, though other times gone out in the car and found quiet, off the beaten track, spots.

I remember staying out late one night with some friends years ago (not star gazing) and the car got broken into and lots of stuff robbed.

Still would like to get a better view of the Andromeda galaxy though.

steve

hi Steve and welcome

please be carefull when out with your equiptment on your own

this is why we wont go out alone,

when we lived at sheff5

we got a few good nights stargazing in our back garden

and had neighbours and friends round to look

it wasant brilliant by all means, but it was dark and we saw quite a bit.

on saying that we are easily pleased.lol

but since moving down here s9

nothing the light pollution is terrible.

chez/malc

I live in Sheffield 5 so thats a relief that the sky is better than some areas of Sheffield,probably becauce were right on the edge of Sheffield.

hope your mum feels better soon syntarsus

maybe next time, (march)

I am my mums 24/7 carer shes serverly disabled

and we had to move to a disabled bungalow at darnall

I Have to plan well in advance for our weekend getaways,

yes saturn

we had some greats nights viewing

we lived very near to st pauls church.

in the back garden which we slabed/paved put up red lights,

so we could sit in our swivel chairs.lol

I prefer stargazing than looking at planets,

so the chair comes in handy

its a wonder I haveant screwed myself into the ground

spinning round.lol

the house blocked any street lights,

then at the back very tall trees blocked the neighbours lights

from over the back.

M made a baffle board that went across the top of the 9ft fence to block the house in the corner they has a security light

that used to come on all the time,very annoying.

pity we wasan't still there you could have come round for a evenings stargazing with us.

Sorry to hear about your mum. My mum's pretty disabled too now and won't be getting better now I'm afraid to say.

So it sounds like if you deal with the light pollution of the immediate surroundings (neighbours light etc) then the wider atmospheric light pollution does not affect viewing too much? Is that right?

I live in S7 and it's just 10 mins by car to get to the peak district. I had high hopes of this being loads better but it didn't seem to be the case. What was really nice was being able to see so much of the sky from one spot. I was on a hill top. But in terms of DSOs suddenly popping out everywhere as hoped, that didn't happen. Andromeda was barely better than at home.

Archived