Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter - Stellarium V Sky Safari

stringbean

I've just done a simulation using Stellarium and Sky Safari, (Desktop Version), to see the transit of Europa tonight. Sky Safari shows the transit beginning about 11pm (BST), tonight and at the same time, almost follows the GRS. Transit of Europa ends approx 1.20am. Now then, Stellarium shows the Europa transit for the exact same times but this time, Stellarium shows no GRS. Which is right? I've made sure that, 'Simulate Light Speed', is checked in Stellarium but still doesn't match up with Sky Safari.

Jupiter's clouds in Stellarium, including the Great Red Spot, are a fixed texture image. Unlike it, the real GRS is a huge storm that drifts. As time passes, the drift has accumulated and the positions of the real GRS and its image in Stellarium no longer match. You can tinker with Jupiter's properties in the ssystem.ini file to try to align them.

I was watching the transit of Europa last night using Sky Safari, and, like you was expecting to see the GRS.

I couldn't, but then the transparency in my area last night was terrible and I was getting an enormous amount of atmospheric refraction.

I always understood that Sky Safari did have accurate GRS positioning.

Tim

Archived