Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

cpc800 with f6 focal reducer

redfox1971

Hi,im practiceing polar alignment and drift align useing my canon 1000d with live view,is it ok to polar align with the reducer in line or should i remove it and do align with f10,does it make any difference,also when polaris aligned on screen and you zoom it moves off line,whitch should i align to standard or zoomed in view of polaris?.

When you zoom into an object it shows you how much error there was in the original alignment at a lower power. So the object moves off center. But that's just regular alignment - I don't know how it works with drift alignment but someone will answer that for you.

Whichever way you do it though it's best to have all the in-line glass that you intend using, in the light train - cos that's what you are gonna get in the end product :)

Hi Brantuk,so when polar aligning on polaris if i use zoom fuction is this giveing me better alignment on any star for alignment? Also with your cpc what is your routine for good alignment and do you switch off and do two star align again.

I have a Hyperion 8mm-24mm zoom. I polar align on 24mm where I can actually see a wider field and locate the pole star. But when I zoom down to 16, then 12, or 8mm I allways have to adjust the alignment to get it more acurate at each step.

Then I know any ep I use over 8mm is allways going to be bang on target dead center.

I haven't done it often - but when it's on the wedge I do a rough 3 star align first and goto the pole star. Then I perform the "Wedge Align" procedure (adjusting alt and az), switch off and on again, followed by a more accurate 3 star align (with an accurately polar aligned setup). :)

Archived