NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Strange UFO in my lens???

On close observation it may look like a cobweb??... its certainly in the gap between the lens's and not on the surface of the outer lens, it also does not mess with the image........I just dont know what it is, or what to do about it??.

Idea's?

Pictures here

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rhughes.xp/vixen/v1.JPG

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rhughes.xp/vixen/v2.JPG

Rob

I guess it can't be crazing of one of the lenses, otherwise it would affect the image.

Where do you keep the scope. Is it anywhere slightly damp ?

Looks like filaments of something growing. Did you first notice this when it was this size or has it increased recently. Could it be crystaline? Some metals, when damp can grow filaments. Damp metal in the lens cell perhaps if it's an older scope?. A small spider practising its web weaving?

To sort it out I guess you'd have to take the lens cell apart, use a lens air blower to clear the filament and re-assemble and re-collimate. Could be dodgy though!

MD

Rob,

Not 100% sure whether you are referring to a scope lens or camera lens. If stored incorrectly, warm and damp then fungus can grow in camera lenses. I would assume that scope lenses can suffer the same way.

Have a look at www.dpreview.com and search for fungus - lots of comments there.

If it is fungus then leaving it pointed at the sun, but not focused, for a while may get rid of it.

Robd

Rob,

Not 100% sure whether you are referring to a scope lens or camera lens. If stored incorrectly, warm and damp then fungus can grow in camera lenses. I would assume that scope lenses can suffer the same way.

Have a look at www.dpreview.com and search for fungus - lots of comments there.

If it is fungus then leaving it pointed at the sun, but not focused, for a while may get rid of it.

Robd

Thats interesting.. thanks for the reply there.

A number of others have indicated to me that its fungus!!... I'll try the 'Leave out in the sun trick'. Failing that I have to strip down and clean the lens's.. :shock:

Hi Rob....Hope you get the fungus sorted soon...but in the meantime I found something else in your scope that looks even more serious

image.jpg

:p Sorry.....just practising with Curves in PSP :D

Chub

PS Loving the C8

Blimey... now that is scary! :D

Archived