28 Sept. White Light Video testing.

Macavity

Thanks guys! (I think) - The only way is up [baby]... :p

But seriously, I sense you (all) might be able to answer a neophyte white-lighter question: Should I be attempting to STACK daytime images - in Registax etc? My impression is that, daytime "atmospheric boiling" means, on sunspot-scale, the image drifts in and out of focus, so maybe it's better to just select the best "snapshot(s)" or... something? :)

I use the DMK camera to collect AVI files - yes the seeing conditions play a very important part - trying to find the "best" focus and maintaining it.

Best conditions are always before noon.....

Registax (I'm still using V5.1) does a reasonable job of filtering out the poor focus/ seeing frames during registration and stacking. You may only get say 200 frames from a 800 frame AVI. Check out the solar imaging tutorial on the registax site.

A bit of "gentle" processing with wavelets ( usually only #6 and #5) can help "sharpen" things up - but be careful you don't "over cook" the images.

HTH

Archived