Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Whats going on here?

I'm guessing the filter is attached to the flattener, then 55mm or so spacing to the CCD? That would seem roughly right I think for such a broad internal reflection, the old halo-prone Astronomik LRGB filters would give much smaller halos as the filterwheel was closer to the CCD.

edit: here's a good analysis http://www.astrodon.com/articles_faq/articles_faq/press_release:391,355,49

You can figure out exactly which surface is the culprit by following the analysis in the Astrodon article, but I'd suspect it's a reflection off the CCD window and back off the inner surface of the CLS.

You can check this by removing the filter and seeing if the halo goes away. If it doesn't, then maybe it's a reflection off an element in the flattener, but i'd bet on the filter.

All my problems seem to occur as soon as I add flats in to the equation.

What happens if you stretch an image hard without applying flats first? Forget about trying to keep the image pretty, can you still see the halo?

Here are all my subs integrated and the halo is there on the one star.

So presume.

a) obviously its in the lights so it has to be optical train so its the reflection.

:p Calibration cannot be working as there are more circles which do not exist in the lights appearing

Just a side note... this is a 23 sub stack without any star alignment been used.... wt?

post-19346-13387766734_thumb.jpg

Well now I am totally puzzled.

This image is 23 subs calibrated only with the Bias Master

Not aligned...does PI cache alignment?

The reflection is there but only in the one place.

What on earth is going on during calibration then?

post-19346-133877667384_thumb.jpg

Archived